The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

6:04 AM


The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

First off, thank you to Alyssa at The Devil Orders Takeout for the tag! Check out her blog for her answers.

Secondly, I found it difficult to find books for some of these "hate" prompts because, usually, if I don't like a book or a character, I won't finish the book. So, I felt it wouldn't be fair to include a book in this post which I haven't finished.

Now, on to my unpopular opinions!

1. A popular book or series you didn't like



The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

 All of the characters are selfish, self-centered and pretty much do not have any redeeming qualities. Why am I supposed to care about what happens to them? The Great Gatsby started off as a short story, and in my opinion, it should've stayed that way. I can handle reading a short story about awful people, but an entire book about them? No thanks.

2. A popular book/series everybody hates but you love


I don't know how many people "hate" Sarah Dessen books, but a colleague of mine did say Sarah Dessen books are bad and do the same thing over and over again. I respectfully disagree. I have a soft spot for Sarah Dessen books.

3. A love triangle where you didn't like who the main character ended up with


The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare.

I love The Infernal Devices books and think the love triangle is much better than the one in The Mortal Instruments series, but I think Clare took the chicken way out of the love triangle in The Infernal Devices.

4. A popular genre you hardly read

Contemporary Fiction. I'm more of a fantasy and paranormal type of gal, and I think I always will be.

5. A popular/beloved character you hate

I thought long and hard about this one, but I honestly couldn't think of a character everyone loves that I hate. As I said before, if I don't like a character, especially if it's the main character, I won't finish reading the book. All other characters that people like, I generally like as well.

6. A popular author you can't seem to get into



Alexandre Dumas. I bought a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo in Edinburgh over three years ago, and I have yet to get past the first chapter. I've heard people rave about The Count of Monte Cristo, but I just can't get into it. I do like classics, but I couldn't get into this story.

7. A popular trope you're tired of reading

Two words: love triangles. While Twilight didn't invent the idea of a love triangle, it certainly seemed to spark the flood of love triangles in which YA books are currently drowning. "Are you Team Boy A or Team Boy B?" I am pretty sick of books in which a female protagonist has to choose between two boys. Attention YA Authors: There are more obstacles to love besides having two boys competing for your love. Let's start writing about those instead. You can find a list of obstacles to love here.

8. A popular series you have no interest in reading



A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice) series by George R. R. Martin

I read the first book and have no interest in reading the rest. George R. R. Martin's writing style doesn't float my boat. First, he spends way too much time on descriptions. Second, the book is told from multiple characters' points of views. Normally, I don't mind a story being told through different characters, but I was only interested in one or two of the characters' story lines and didn't really care about what was happening during the other characters' viewpoints. I couldn't care less about Jon Snow and the Wall storyline. Also, I found it annoying that Martin described a battle from one character's viewpoint and in the next chapter described the exact same battle from another character's viewpoint. The second description of the battle was completely unnecessary in my opinion. No real new information was revealed in the second chapter.

9. A movie you liked better than the book.



Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Sorry, Neil Gaiman. I love your books, but for some reason I liked the movie better than the book.

I tag S J BouquetTashB K Rivers, Aentee, and anyone else who feels so inclined.

Do you agree with my choices? Share some of your unpopular opinions in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Actually, I think I take issue with the image in Q7 -- yes, remove the love triangle, that's the bare bones plot of the first Hunger Games. And ... isn't a televised fight to the death interesting? Oppressive government? Poverty? Basically child soldiers/gladiators? I think all these are worth exploring and it's unfair of the image to imply that the love triangle is the ONLY important point of THG. Also, I haven't read Twilight, but personally it seems that even without the love triangle the vampires would be around? The werewolves would have some historical conflict with them? I'm not sure about this, though, since I haven't read it.

    But I do agree that love triangles shouldn't be all that a young adult struggles with in a book, even contemporary. I also think that this love triangle trope is amplified by the media -- out of the recent YA reads, not that many of them had love triangles, and the love triangles in those remaining were only minor subplots. The trend is definitely improving IMO!

    Thanks for doing the tag! I hope you enjoyed writing your answers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Alyssa. I chose that image for Q7 because I thought it showed that THG has a more interesting plot without the love triangle, ha ha.

      Delete
    2. I deleted the image for Q7 so no one else will be confused about my point.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook