Run Fast. Trust No One. Always Carry Your Knife.

6:18 AM


Summary of The Walled City by Rachel Graudin

In the Walled City, a lawless outland occupied by gangs, vagrants and prostitutes, each day is a fight for survival. 

Haunted by his past, Dai has 18 days to escape the Walled City, but he must traffic drugs for the most ruthless gang leader in order to escape.

Jin tries to keep a low profile, afraid the wild street gangs will discover her biggest secret: she dresses as a boy to stay safe. Every chance she gets, she searches the Walled City for her lost sister. 

Mei Yee has been trapped in a brothel for the past two years, dreaming of getting out while watching the girls who try fail one by one. Will she be brave enough to chance an escape?

As each struggles to survive, their fates become inextricably linked to each other.

Review

I picked up The Walled City off the shelf in Barnes and Noble and decided to read the first page. Several minutes later, I had finished the first few chapters without even realizing it. I didn't want to put the book down. Normally, I don't buy a book unless I've checked it out from the library and read it a few times, so I know I like it. This time, however, I decided to splurge and buy the book. The unique characters and setting made me glad I took a chance and bought the book.

To start with, the characters are not your typical "good" people. When we're first introduced to all of them, they ignore or choose not to help someone else in pain. Why they choose not to help those suffering around them is what drew me into the story. These characters are gritty and fighting for their lives.

If the characters drew me into the story, the setting was what made me stay. I didn't even realize the Walled City was an actual place until I read the author's note at the end of the book. The whole time I was reading the book, I thought Graudin had dreamed up this fantastically dark city of outlaws. It turns out she used the Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong as her inspiration for this fantasy world. 


Kowloon Walled City

My only beef with this book was that it seemed longer than it needed to be. I think Graudin could've skipped some of the switches in point of view which didn't really do anything to advance the plot.

All in all, I enjoyed reading The Walled City

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Ooh, I'm so happy this was amazing!! I'm about to order Wolf by Wolf which I'm super excited about EEEEP. And that's so awesome this fantasy world was inspired by that on in Hong Kong. :O I love it when books have that kind of cool trivia. *nods*
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Cait! You'll have to let me know how you like Wolf by Wolf!

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook