Black is Back

7:17 PM


Summary of The Darkest Part of the Forest
Hazel and her brother Ben live in the town of Fairfold where mortals and faeries live side by side.  Tourists travel to Fairfold every year to try to glimpse faeries and take pictures of themselves next to the horned boy who sleeps in a glass coffin in the forest.  As children, Hazel and Ben pretended they were a knight and a minstrel who went on adventures and slew monsters.  Each dreamed of one day freeing the horned boy from the glass coffin.  Eventually, Hazel and Ben become teenagers and put aside their childish games.  


Everything changes when the horned boy wakes from his slumber, tossing the town of Fairfold into a whirlwind of secrets, sorrow, and pain.  Hazel must become the knight she always pretended to be or the town of Fairfold may be lost forever.


Review
The first book I ever read by Holly Black was Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale.  It was my first real introduction to the darker side of the Fey.  In The Darkest Part of the Forest, Black returns to the beautiful and terrifying faerie tales that launched her writing career.  I am so glad she decided to return to this world.  


What I love the most about Black's writing are her characters.  Her female protagonists are all strong in their own way, and, best of all, they are flawed.  Hazel definitely does not disappoint.  She holds her own against the faeries, and yet she still makes mistakes.  Black also does a good job of including varied supporting characters.  Ben, Hazel's brother, has his own storyline which supports and complicates Hazel's.  


Along with her strong characters, Black also immerses her readers in a vivid setting.  Her descriptions of the Fey are beautiful and at times haunting.  She also provides plenty of details which make the story sharper.


All in all, I enjoyed reading this book immensely.  The plot was engaging, and the pacing was spot on.  It has been a while since I've read a book  in which I didn't predict a plot twist before it happened.  The Darkest Part of the Forest managed to keep me guessing until the secret was revealed.  I recommend it to anyone who enjoys dark, twisted fairy tales with a strong heroine.  


Coming Soon

The next book on my list to read is The Rosie Project by Graeme C. Simsion.  Please feel free to comment below with books you think I should add to my reading list.  Happy reading, my friends!  

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have been dying to read this book, and it's slowly making it's way to me through my library's waiting list! I'm glad it'll be worth it! I LOVE me some Faerie lore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is definitely worth the wait! Have you read any other books by Holly Black? I look forward to hearing your thoughts on The Darkest Part of the Forest!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook