Three Dark Crowns Review

7:18 AM


Summary of Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.
But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.
*Summary from Amazon

Review

Have you ever craved a food but then been disappointed with its taste once you finally eat it because it didn't live up to your expectations? That's what happened with me and Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. The premise had such promise! The idea of three sisters each with their own magical powers competing to be the next queen sounded exactly like the type of book I enjoy reading. When I first came across a description of the book on Goodreads, I eagerly added it to my never ending TBR and was delighted when it was the book in my monthly Owlcrate box. Imagine my dismay when I found characters making decisions which made me hate them and a predictable plot.

While reading this book, I found myself more interested in the magic than the characters. I think this is due to the fact that while their powers are cool, the sisters themselves have extremely little to no backbone and allow themselves to be pushed around like queens on a chessboard. Additionally, there is completely unnecessary infidelity which made me strongly dislike one of the characters. Blake did a good job of creating a interesting world and magic system, but her characters definitely are not up to par in my opinion. 

As a writer, I know how difficult the plot of this book must've been to write. I can and do admire Blake for her writing skill and her attempt to write this sort of book. However, as a reader, I also enjoy a good plot twist that this book unfortunately isn't able to deliver. 

I ended up giving Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake 2 out of 5 stars on Goodreads, though a 2.5 is probably more accurate. Needless to say, this book wasn't my cup of tea and I have no plans to continue with the series. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook