The Wrath and the Dawn

3:20 PM

Summary of The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?

Inspired by A Thousand and One NightsThe Wrath and the Dawn is a sumptuous and enthralling read from beginning to end.
 

Summary from goodreads

Review

I sat down to write this review several different times but always found some way of putting it off. It wasn't because I disliked The Wrath and the Dawn. On the contrary, I think it's well written and plan on reading the next book. No, I think the reason why I'm having a hard time writing a proper review of this book is because it was good, but didn't blow my socks off if you know what I mean.

The Wrath and the Dawn is a retelling of A Thousand and One Nights, which is one of my favorite stories. I've read many other retellings of the story because I love the idea of stories being so powerful they can help make people more tolerant and better people. What sets The Wrath and the Dawn apart from other retellings of A Thousand and One Nights that I've read, is the fact that the character of Shahrzad agrees to marry the Sultan because she plans to avenge her best friend's death whose murder was ordered by the Sultan. While this was a refreshing twist on the original story, I found myself reluctant to believe Shahrzad could fall in love with the man who ordered her best friend be killed. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the second book.


As I mentioned before, I liked The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. I gave it a 4 out of 5 on goodreads.







You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I really liked this one and after finishing the second, really appreciate the duology as a whole. I actually think I appreciate it more as time has gone by. I'm not sure why. Adhieh is such a beautiful writer and I'm really looking forward to her next book.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook