Mini Reviews: The Books I Read This January

7:30 PM


Charles Dickens once said, "There's nothing better than a friend, unless it's a friend with chocolate." I'd like to add on to his quote. "There's nothing better than a friend, unless it's a friend with chocolate and books." Desserts and books are two of my favorite things in life; one fills my stomach with deliciousness and the other feeds my soul. So, when I thought of a way to combine the two, and hopefully help with my inconsistency when it comes to posting on this blog, I was so excited!

Rather than post longer book reviews more often, I've decided to do mini reviews on the books I've read each month. I'll give you a taste of each book. So, without further ado, here are the books I read in January.


Summary: Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites. Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her. 

*Summary from Goodreads

My thoughts: This was my first time reading an antagonist's origin story, and it is definitely an intriguing read. Lu does an excellent job of getting the reader to sympathize with Adelina and dislike her at the same time. If you like YA fantasy books with morally gray characters, you'll enjoy The Young Elites.


Summary: Trixie Watson has two very important goals for senior year: to finally save enough to buy the set of Doctor Who figurines at the local comic books store, and to place third in her class and knock Ben West--and his horrendous new mustache that he spent all summer growing--down to number four. After all, the war of Watson v. West is as vicious as the Doctor v. Daleks and Browncoats v. Alliance combined, and it goes all the way back to the infamous monkey bars incident in the first grade. The war is Trixie's for the winning, until her best friend starts dating Ben's best friend and the two are unceremoniously dumped together and told to play nice. Finding common ground is odious and tooth-pullingly-painful, but Trixie and Ben's cautious truce slowly transforms into a fandom-based tentative friendship. When Trixie's best friend gets expelled for cheating and Trixie cries foul play, however, they have to choose who to believe and which side they're on--and they might not pick the same side.

*Summary from Goodreads

My thoughts: I'm a sucker for a good enemies-to friends-to lovers trope and The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You definitely fits the bill. It's also chockfull of geeky fandom references that I enjoy (and even a few that I didn't know). Add in the fact that it's a retelling of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, and my bookworm heart was happy.


Summary: Per her 537 rules, Harper Campbell keeps her life tidy—academically and socially. But the moment Sterling Lane transfers into her tiny boarding school, her twin brother gets swept up in Sterling’s pranks and schemes and nearly gets expelled. Harper knows it’s Sterling’s fault, and to protect her brother, she vows to take him down. As she exposes his endless school violations, he keeps striking back, framing her for his own infractions. Worst of all, he’s charmed the administration into thinking he’s harmless, and only Harper sees him for the troublemaker he absolutely is. 

As she breaks rule after precious rule in her battle of wits against Sterling and tension between them hits a boiling point, she’s horrified to discover that perhaps the two of them aren’t so different. And maybe she doesn't entirely hate him after all. Teaming up with Sterling to save her brother might be the only way to keep from breaking the most important rule—protecting Cole.
 

*Summary from Goodreads

My thoughts: This book was pitched to me as Paris Geller from the TV show Gilmore Girls with a hate-to-love romance, and it definitely lives up to this description. If you've ever wondered what it might be like for two Slytherins to fall in love, this could be the book for you.


Summary: When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.

*Summary from Goodreads

My thoughts: I enjoy reading books where friendships are just as important as, and sometimes even more important than, romantic relationships, so I was excited to read this Roomies. While I enjoyed parts of the book, I found myself only continuing to read because I wanted to see if Elizabeth and Lauren would ever meet in real life.


Have you read any of these books? Do we have similar tastes? Sorry, I couldn't resist the dessert/book pun. Do you have any suggestions of books I might enjoy? Comment below! 

Also, I considering adding some sort of dessert related rating system to these mini review posts in the future. Example: I give this book 4 out of 5 cookies or 2.5 out of 5 brownies. Any suggestions of desert related items for my rating system would be welcome. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook