Starting Over

11:20 AM

Summary of Landline by Rainbow Rowell

As far as time machines go, a magic telephone is pretty useless.
TV writer Georgie McCool can't actually visit the past -- all she can do is call it, and hope it picks up.
And hope he picks up.
Because once Georgie realizes she has a magic phone that calls into the past, all she wants to do is make things right with her husband, Neal.
Maybe she can fix the things in their past that seem unfixable in the present. Maybe this stupid phone is giving her a chance to start over ...
Does Georgie want to start over?

Review

I listened to Landline on Audible knowing nothing about it other than it was written by Rainbow Rowell, and I like her books. I didn't know there would be a magic phone which can call into the past, so I was pretty thrown off by it when it happened. I thought to myself, is the main character having a psychotic break? Is she dreaming? Is this some sort of magical realism crap? Once I became accustomed to it though, I didn't mind it. 

A lot of time travel stories focus on going back to one specific moment to change the future. This story focuses on all the little moments which make up a relationship, which I liked. I also enjoyed reading about a couple who is already married. Most of the romance books I've read tell the story of how the couple met and rarely go past the wedding. I felt Rowell accurately depicted the way life can cause stress in a marriage while still making the story a funny, sweet romance.

I debated whether to give Landline a 4 or 5 on Goodreads because while I liked the book, I didn't enjoy it as much as Fangirl and Attachments. In the end, I gave Landline 5 out of 5 stars because it's Rainbow Rowell, and I will gladly devour any book she writes.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook