The Novice Review

5:46 PM

Summary of The Novice by Taran Matharu

Fletcher is working as a blacksmith's apprentice when he discovers he has the rare ability to summon demons from another world. Chased from his village for a crime he did not commit, Fletcher must travel with his demon, Ignatius, to an academy for adepts, where the gifted are taught the art of summoning.
Along with nobles and commoners, Fletcher endures grueling lessons that will prepare him to serve as a Battlemage in the Empire's war against the savage Orcs. But sinister forces infect new friendships and rivalries grow. With no one but Ignatius by his side, Fletcher must decide where his loyalties lie. The fate of the Empire is in his hands. . . .

Review

I'm a writer as well as a reader, so I was interested in reading The Novice by Taran Matharu because the book started out on the website Wattpad where it became wildly popular and earned Matharu a publishing deal. I'm glad I read the book because it gave me a better idea of the current publishing market and what's popular among certain readers.

Overall, the storyline is decent but not overly memorable. I would recommend it to people who like Pokemon as the collecting and battling of demons in this book is similar to collecting and battling Pokemon. Yes, I was one of the few people who grew up during the 90s who didn't watch Pokemon or collect the cards. Even though I am not a fan of Pokemon, I did enjoy reading about the various different demons the students had.

I didn't particularly connect with the protagonist or the writing style, which I think is fine because I am not the author's target age group. While The Novice wasn't my particular cup of tea, it does have all the elements of a popular fantasy book in which an underdog main character trains and learns how to use his magic while fighting rivals throughout the story.

I gave The Novice 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.
SaveSave

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook